Geraldine Morgan, Soquel, CA
1 whole chicken breasts
season with garlic, salt & pepper
1 dozen corn tortillas
1 can mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup half and half
1 7 oz. can green chili salsa
1 yellow onion
1/2 tsp. cumin (or to taste)
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 lb. jack or cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 c. CHAUCER’S Mead or CHAUCER’S Apricot Wine
1 c. thinly sliced almonds
Sauté chopped onion in butter; then add to sauce below
PREPARATION OF SAUCE
- In a bowl, blend the mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, half and half, green chili salsa, cumin, lemon juice, and CHAUCER’S Mead or CHAUCER’S Apricot Wine.
PREPARATION OF CHICKEN
- Wrap chicken breasts in foil, bake for 1 hour at 400.
- Cool and debone.
- *Save 3/4 to 1 c. of chicken broth.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Butter a 9″ X 13″ pan.
- Spread the bottom of the pan with a layer of tortillas, chicken pieces, and 3 Tbsp. of chicken broth.
- Pour part of the sauce over this too.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Repeat these layers, topping with grated cheese, and almonds at the end.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day: Bake 1 hour at 300 uncovered.
*Instead of deboning the chicken yourself, you may wish to purchase the chicken already deboned.